I just realized I haven't blogged about my latest life adventure since announcing it in January - how is this possible?!
This week we are applying for our visas which means WT is grounded until we get his passport back. Prefect excuse to fly our son home for a visit ~ woohoo!
Visas: Passports will be sent in tomorrow, with a $100 check for each (plus expedite fees). The turn around is usually a month but we are trying to speed this up so Bill can get back to traveling.
Medical: With Bill's third world/ international travel he's current on vaccines. I need to set up my medical appointment to begin the vaccine process (and quarterly blood draw for Lymes status).
Shots and medication: One of these is a three part series so I will start the process this week.
Here's a list of the shots I need:
- Yellow Fever
- Hepatitis A
- MMR and Polio update
- Typhoid Fever
- Hepatitis B
There are also a few prescription medications to travel with:
- Diamox (acute mountain sickness)
- Zpack (super strength antibiotic)
Shopping: The hidden costs that accompany any adventure! With the World Traveler grounded... this is the perfect time to research, shop and buy. We are buying everything online but still have to try on apparel/shoes to make sure we have proper fit.
Items purchased this weekend:
- WT's hiking boots: $250 retail, found online for $140
- Mari's hiking boots: $290 retail, no online deals
- Six pair wool socks: $18/pair, found online for $8/pair
- Two duffle bags (Sherpa's carry from camp to camp): $80 each but we found them for $30 each!
- WT's solar day pack: $239
- WT's convertible zip offs: $80 retail, $20 online
- Mari's Convertible zip offs: $75 retail, $30 online
Retail value: $1,200
We spent $827
We are in the three month window so our focus, chatter will start to shift towards planning and preparing. I hope you will enjoy following these posts - I'm mostly posting my journey since I can't find any online journals and don't know anyone who has done this... I'm in uncharted territory and don't want anyone else to plan such a trip 'blindly'.
Time to lace up my shoes, enjoy a sunny Sunday, and get a run in!