I want to share one of my favorite go-to recipes with you today. Simple yet full of flavor, a Creamy Christmas Stew.
Why a hot stew in summer?
Well... I have a pantry FULL of produce. A farewell dinner for thirty in our home resulted in a few pounds of potatoes and other vegetables waiting to be eaten. A day later, we cleaned up, and I drove to DC for a professional commitment. A busy week.
Yesterday gifted me a day to catch up and nest. Scanning a full refrigerator and pantry, with some food items I do not often eat, I opted to roast vegetables and flash freeze them for future meals.
With the power of Pinterest, I discovered the recipe below a few years ago. I make it 3-4 times a year, a quick, sophisticated addition to any dinner party. Yesterday I made this recipe and put into individual servings. I can't wait to defrost and enjoy one of my favorite meals this week.
Serve with protein, or add it to the stew. Vegan is another option,, try Kite Hill or any other wonderful dairy alternative.
Let me know if you make this and if you enjoy the stew!
900 grams small baby potatoes
2-3T olive oil
2T Sea salt
Preheat the oven to 425F. Wash the potatoes and toss them with salt and olive oil. Pour in a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and have a nice crispy crust.
2 cups vegetable broth
350 grams of fresh mushrooms
10 small baby onions
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt flakes
1 tsp soy
0,5 cup red wine
1.5 cups whole milk
1 cup sour cream
Fresh rosemary for garnish
- Peel the onions but keep it whole, chop the garlic cloves finely and cut the mushrooms into whatever size you prefer.
- Fry the garlic and baby onion for about 10 minutes over medium heat in a large saucepan or casserole, stir continuously.
- Add the chopped rosemary, mushrooms, salt and the vegetarian soy stew beef and raise the heat a little bit. Fry for about 5 minutes
- Add the red wine, let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally add the cream, sour cream and soy sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle some fresh rosemary over the Stew before serving.